"FHRUS" A site dedicated to promoting the hobby of raising Flowerhorns and other Aquatic Pets. "Finding Answers Together" While Building a Wonderful Family within a Fish Community One person at a Time!!!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit here at FHRUS.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
fish is bloating; how to cure?
Topic Started: Jul 13 2007, 06:27 PM (21,592 Views)
norris
Member Avatar
1" Frys
OK my fish has been bloating out of nowhere and is really fat ... and it looks really sick. I think it is due to temperature fluctuation. HAS ANYONE HERE BEEN THROUGH THIS AND HAS SUCCESSFULLY CURED IT???/ FAST HELP PLEASE. VANZ ?? ANYONE

ALSO ... CAN ANYONE NAME A FEW MEDS I CAN USE TO CURE AND IS IT A HIGH PERCENTAGE OF THE FISH BEING CURED... AND HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE ??
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

henri
Member Avatar
15" 3x Champions
I had been through this experience before. If what you are describing is like bloating, the stomach of the fish is getting bigger like a gold fish right? Well, i had a fish with bloating before, and i never find a cure for it. I try alot of fish medicine for bacteria and parasite, but after two week of bloating. It died. I heard it was cause by an internal parasite or bacteria.
Bloating is very hard to cure.
What you can use is metrodize (i don't know how to spell)? I heard it very effective way of treating. I never use this before since i don't know where to get it.
My advice is to keep the water clean, change the water every two or three day during the period of treatment. Add some salt to help with the breathing.
Don't raise the temperature, just leave it as room temperature. I did raise the temp with my fish and it look like it doesn't do any good.

Hope this help.
good luck
Team R Us - FlowerhornRus.com

FlowerHornRus
Member Avatar
Administrator
man Norris, please tell me its not your lil GM that everyone dies to have pleaseonknee pleaseonknee nosmiley

bro.. I myself have never cured one yet.. and it happened only once to me and once to big dogg..

mine died the next day.. and his only a few days later..

but one thing i learn is NO SALT.. do not add salt.. yes yours is internal..and with internal its harder to cure.. and as a precaution.. .. if you got anything in the tank with that fish.. take it out.. I think its pretty contagious.. if its either bacteria or parasite..

this is what i know of it.. its best to keep the water temp stable .. dont worry bout feeding.. change water constantly .. atleast 20-30% every two days.. also hit up your LFS for what they got.. i think.. PCcillin would be good too.. its a med called that and not a antivirus for your comp..hehehe.. but yeah any meds to cure the internal organs.. im sorry I wish i could do more.. fish sickness, is so hard at times.. most of us have gone through it and we know how it feels.. my sympathy is with you

good luck

* DROPYSY *
Description: Dropsy is a bacterial infection of your fish's internal organs. Being internal, it is difficult to diagnose and is often not treated early enough to save the host fish. It attacks fish that have been weakened due to excess stress resulting from poor water conditions, overcrowding or being moved. It causes excess body fluids to build up making the fish appear bloated or it's scales to stick out. Early stages of this infection may present themselves as popeye as excess fluid causes the eyes to bulge.

Symptoms: The visible symptoms of drospy come from the excess body fluid buildup inside the fish. Bloating, as well as eyes or scales that protrude more than normal may be signs of dropsy. Avoidance of other fish and loss of appetite are also common.

Treatment: Commercial treatments are available from your local fish store. Just ask as soon as possible. If possible, keep some on hand as you must treat this disease as soon as possible if your fish is to have any chance of survival. Usually by the time the scales of the fish are protruding, it is too late. NEVER USE SALT (sodium chloride, a.k.a. aquarium salt) for treatment of dropsy. This will KILL your fish in a very short time. The affected fish are already having a difficult time getting rid of salts due to kidney dysfunction. This causes the blown up appearance and concurrent scale standing. The osmotic imbalance caused by addition of sodium to your tank water will make this condition far worse. Use Tetracycline, Maracyn and Maracyn 2, Kanacyn, or broad spectrum antibiotic foods.
Posted Image

It takes 36 muscles to make a FROWN... Posted Image

But it ONLY takes ONE FISH to make a Smile!!!
Posted Image

norris
Member Avatar
1" Frys
man, i think i itreated him too late he was so big at first and this happened all of a sudden.. it bloated in less then one day... treating him with borad spectrum antibiotic foods and tetra seems to not help it.. only if i coulda treat it earlier but would have been not successful since it happened so fast .. feel sad for the guy hes all alone on the bottom of the tank and just trying to breath .. this disease seems hopeless and seems like there is no need to try since its a like 100% death to me... o well thanks anyways

Paintsn
Member Avatar
>>>NeWbIe 4LiFe<<<
norris
Jul 15 2007, 09:57 AM
man, i think i itreated him too late he was so big at first and this happened all of a sudden.. it bloated in less then one day... treating him with borad spectrum antibiotic foods and tetra seems to not help it.. only if i coulda treat it earlier but would have been not successful since it happened so fast .. feel sad for the guy hes all alone on the bottom of the tank and just trying to breath .. this disease seems hopeless and seems like there is no need to try since its a like 100% death to me... o well thanks anyways

that is a very sad to know lil bro.. i feel you.. i losted my favorite FF due to dropsy.. it took him out less than two days.. first day.. i was like, stores closed.. ill go tomorrow.. but tomorrow never came for my Precious FF..

sad cryinbigtime im sorry

hope your fish will get better and if not hope you will find a replacement soon..

but again.. what fish is this one.. nnnnnooooo not the sml.. pleaseonknee
http://flowerhornrus.com/
SAD??? sad is seeing that wrinkled face in the mirror of a NOBODY and knowing that life is given by Borrowed Time,
And to the Truth is, Being alive and not knowing how to LIVE...
Now that is sad!!!

ONE DAY CLOSER TO DEATH!!!

So Therefore... My Dream is My Reality and My Reality is My Dream, And If I am in MY Reality, Then I could do So as I pleases AS in My DREAM!!!

Paintings In MY MIND by PAINTSN

Click Banner
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Medical Area/Nutrition/Health · Next Topic »
Add Reply

FHRUS Donation Box

Google

GS/GO SOLD HERE! Click RUS LOGO
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Vote For FHRUS!!
All Tropical Fish Topsites List Aquariumrank.com - Ranking the Top Aquarium Sites on the Internet