"FHRUS" A site dedicated to promoting the hobby of raising Flowerhorns and other Aquatic Pets. "Finding Answers Together" While Building a Wonderful Family within a Fish Community One person at a Time!!!
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit here at FHRUS.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Poll: Mirrors do put mirrors with their FH ?
I put a mirror for him to be active in hopes of kok increase. 24 (26.4%)
I dont put a mirror. 28 (30.8%)
I have put a mirrow and notice an increase of kok. 19 (20.9%)
I have put a mirror and have not noticed an increased of kok. 8 (8.8%)
I put a mirror 12 (13.2%)
Total Votes: 91
Poll: Mirrors do put mirrors with their FH ?; For a short period of time or always in.
Topic Started: Apr 12 2008, 07:48 AM (4,981 Views)
Wildimage
Member Avatar
*Bionic Biker Chickyta*
If you do put a mirror for a short time, let me know smiliee
-Lynda ;)

"Provehito in Altum" = "Launch forth into the deep"

***TEAM R US***

***UNITED WE STAND STRONG & TOGETHER ANYTHING IS POSSIBE***

Posted Image

Posted Image

The secret of health for both mind and body, is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles, but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly. Live each moment stress free & in harmony ...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

blue_ice™
team PHILIPPINES
i put a mirror so that my fish will see whether he/she has dirt in his/her face. laughin rollin smiliee

seriously, to increase aggressiveness.

Wildimage
Member Avatar
*Bionic Biker Chickyta*
blue_ice™
Apr 12 2008, 10:15 AM
i put a mirror so that my fish will see whether he/she has dirt in his/her face. laughin rollin smiliee

You didnt vote lol...Vote dear friend! smiliee
-Lynda ;)

***TEAM R US***

Posted Image

Posted Image

The secret of health for both mind and body, is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles, but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly. Live each moment stress free & in harmony ...

t.bone
Member Avatar
4" Juvies
lynda, not all fish like this method. i fond out that most zz's are kool with it. but with kamfas, srt's and other types it varies. people do this to increase kok, color and aggression. its the same as putting another fish next to ur fish. but u can control how long u want him there for. when they see another fish (or own reflection), they need to showoff, flare up, and look intimidating. u only do it a couple hrs a day because i feel that if u leave it there it'll lose its effectiveness. sorta like he'll get "used" to it. try it out.

blue_ice™
team PHILIPPINES
wildimage
Apr 13 2008, 12:04 AM
blue_ice™
i put a mirror so that my fish will see whether he/she has dirt in his/her face.  laughin rollin  smiliee

oh yeah i forgot. hehehe. my bad duh

Wildimage
Member Avatar
*Bionic Biker Chickyta*
blue_ice™
Apr 12 2008, 12:43 PM
wildimage
Apr 13 2008, 12:04 AM
blue_ice™
i put a mirror so that my fish will see whether he/she has dirt in his/her face.  laughin rollin  smiliee

oh yeah i forgot. hehehe. my bad duh

Hehehe...
-Lynda ;)

***TEAM R US***

Posted Image

Posted Image

tomster
1" Frys
I dont use mirror, this method can increase kok and color but can also stress your fish. Leads to stringy white poop.

Wildimage
Member Avatar
*Bionic Biker Chickyta*
tomster
Apr 14 2008, 12:03 PM
I dont use mirror, this method can increase kok and color but can also stress your fish.  Leads to stringy white poop.

Leads to stringy white poop? Really? Didnt know this...But why would his poo be white from stress? I though white poo was only from internal parasites? Stress can make poo white??? Didnt know about color too....
-Lynda ;)

***TEAM R US***

Posted Image

Posted Image

blue_ice™
team PHILIPPINES
tomster
Apr 15 2008, 01:03 AM
I dont use mirror, this method can increase kok and color but can also stress your fish. Leads to stringy white poop.

white poop is hexa. i don't think it has something to do with the mirror. instead, it may be caused by cold water temp.

cktanPenang
Member Avatar
10" Masterpieces
I do put mirror sometimes but for a short while only. smiliee
Love Your Family and Being Good To Your Friend

zzflowerhorn
Member Avatar
8" Adults
I use mirror sometimes......but I usually hang a mirror (both side) in the center of the tank so it turns and moves by the water current. This will be less boring and stress for the fish.
Posted Image Posted Image

NiceFishHomie
Member Avatar
"I suck at fishing LOL"
i don't use mirror for the guest will question me to why there is a make up mirror hanging in my fish tank

what I do is partition and let them get at each other but if it gets too wild, I find other means to do things differently

if a fish has the color genes to them, that's an automatic color enhancer. When two male adult fishes touch for the very first time (like madonna song like a virgin) watch how the color brighten up in less than 2 seconds but it can get ugly because they fight crazy.

color brighten up but when you seperate them, it goes back to normal so it is a temporary way to catch your fish on camera for that photo finish quality shot.

Does it up the kok? Yes it does but from my own observation in my kamfa monkey, it is only temporary as well. Too bad I did not take a picture when he got over the divider and almost killed my zzmalau. His head then pops out of nowhere to being so obvious that it looks so abnormal for a kok and yes, I do know what a normal kok looks like. This one looks like a bicep of a body builder where there's an extra hill on top of a mountain. It grew so oddly looking that you can actually see his scales on his kok being stretched out like it is going to break the skin. Like I said, it is only temporary so the kok went back to normal when he cools down. I tried it again and was unable to get the same result. I don't know what really happen and I did not make recordings to the water perimeter to have a way to repeat the process so I'm here just sharing you to what I have experiences. I love fh because there are just way too many things to learn to understand this hobby.

NiceFishHomie
Member Avatar
"I suck at fishing LOL"
I want to note on the comment with hex and this is what I found out with my dangerous experiments again.

First, i fed my fish with dry shrimps that comes that fat container and I heavily loaded this fish with it. It got hex like my very first RBK and died

then it was my f1 breeder female where I had her and her mate in a 10 gallon and a castle so she can hide. He eats dry shrimp once again only. She only comes out to eat and hides from the male. I then saw white poop floating in the water but it did not come from the male. She stopped eating and stop coming out of her castle cave. I then changed water just to find out that she died inside the castle cave. My verdict on this one is a combination of Stress from hiding from the male and eating dry shrimp feed.

then I needed room and took my healthy f1 double row male breeder and placed him in a 10 gallon with no heater. The water was cold as heck. He stopped eating then had sign of hex. Another victim.

So stress and cold water is the human factor key for hex but I'm skeptical with feeding dry shrimp although I'm starting to feed dry shrimps once again to bring out their colors. I had to use a variety of feed to give my fish a balance right? Even if my fish catches hex again, i will have to perform another experiment for this one could be that the batches of dry shrimp of mine is tainted. I'm using the left over of the dry shrimp batch that killed my other fishes to hex so we'll see to the results to what happen later.

I hate losing fish but it is the only way for me to learn something new. Me and my experiments and my inhumane way of raising fish. I ought to kick myself in the head for this thus why I'm not ready to play with masterpiece until I fully understand this hobby.

Wildimage
Member Avatar
*Bionic Biker Chickyta*
NiceFishHomie
Apr 15 2008, 05:24 AM
I want to note on the comment with hex and this is what I found out with my dangerous experiments again.

First, i fed my fish with dry shrimps that comes that fat container and I heavily loaded this fish with it. It got hex like my very first RBK and died

then it was my f1 breeder female where I had her and her mate in a 10 gallon and a castle so she can hide. He eats dry shrimp once again only. She only comes out to eat and hides from the male. I then saw white poop floating in the water but it did not come from the male. She stopped eating and stop coming out of her castle cave. I then changed water just to find out that she died inside the castle cave. My verdict on this one is a combination of Stress from hiding from the male and eating dry shrimp feed.

then I needed room and took my healthy f1 double row male breeder and placed him in a 10 gallon with no heater. The water was cold as heck. He stopped eating then had sign of hex. Another victim.

So stress and cold water is the human factor key for hex but I'm skeptical with feeding dry shrimp although I'm starting to feed dry shrimps once again to bring out their colors. I had to use a variety of feed to give my fish a balance right? Even if my fish catches hex again, i will have to perform another experiment for this one could be that the batches of dry shrimp of mine is tainted. I'm using the left over of the dry shrimp batch that killed my other fishes to hex so we'll see to the results to what happen later.

I hate losing fish but it is the only way for me to learn something new. Me and my experiments and my inhumane way of raising fish. I ought to kick myself in the head for this thus why I'm not ready to play with masterpiece until I fully understand this hobby.

Interesting NFH!
Too bad you didnt get the chance to take a pic when you experienced this with your FH.

Yeah i know what you meen about the mirror and guess lol...when i purchased mine, the owner of the LFS shook his head when he asked me for wich pet and i told him my FH...hahaha I have been telling for a while now, how they look, showed him pics, he finds them very beautiful...

So i experimented...

First time i put the mirror, he was like *what the heck* and was swiming around & around...

Second time i put it in...he knew what it was and didnt take him long to attack it!

I have not left the mirror more than a couple of minutes, i fear he will dart and hurt himself.

Therefore have not seen anything unusual...guess would have to leave the morror much longer.

What i have noticed, is his behavior, more edgy and aggressive... even a couple of days after...yesterday he jumped like heck when i was feeding him ( much more crazy than usual), and he scared my Veronica so bad lol...she was saying thats it, this is the way i die laughin rollin laughin rollin

Like you said so well...*love fh because there are just way too many things to learn to understand this hobby* so true, and they are so unique & wonderful :)
-Lynda ;)

***TEAM R US***

Posted Image

Posted Image

Jett
1" Frys
mirror works. cool guy

Jam420
4" Juvies
I also use mirrors.
Its so cool to see the fish go crazy.
www.chingmixusa.com
Posted Image
Posted Image

Wildimage
Member Avatar
*Bionic Biker Chickyta*
I have one...but it rounded and small...maybe i should get a bigger one...he seems bored of it....
-Lynda ;)

***TEAM R US***

Posted Image

Posted Image

wrangler64
Member Avatar
Zygotes
one of the FH i have (angeal) that was attacked by the bigger FH (genesis) had some fin damage and when i placed him in a seperate tank he just hid behind the barrel decor that is in the tank and won't come out even in feedings. 4 hours ago we placed a small mirror in his tank and he came out and since then he just kept on attacking himself in the mirror hahahahhahaha

actually i don't know if i find it funny or pathetic or pitiful but at least he came out of the barrel. it's just that he might hurt himself bumping the mirror over and over.
"Who are you to judge the life I live. I know I am not perfect - and i don't intend to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean." - Bob Marley :D

Jae-P
Member Avatar
"Proud Pinoy"
i havent tried this but i think i will.. (soon)
im just waiting for the new tank..
hope it arrives soon..
"fish are friends, not food" -- Finding nemo

scotty61
Member Avatar
15" 3x Champions
I use the mirror every other day for the whole day then remove it. it has made a big difference in my male Kamfa. I use a mirror that has 2 sides one that is normal and the other side is a 10x magnifying mirror. it like the fish can see 2 different fish every other day.
OR untill the miss needs her mirror back. LOL
florida flowerhorn breeder
"respect"it's not just a word you earn it
"FHRUS"it's not just a word it's home

SCRIVING
Zygotes
I use the mirror for one hour a day i think it is good exercise for the fish also i feel like whn you take the mirror out it feels like it has fought off the other fish and he is dominant and the dominant fish in the wild not flowerhorn of course but other large cichlids will be the most colorful and have the big KOK.

BigBoss
Member Avatar
Zygotes
I have two tanks side to side and leave a paper to block them from seeing each other. Some days I take the paper out and let them see each other. Not much of a improvement yet but will update with my status :).

noeleezy
Zygotes
i use a mirror everytime i see them its my way of playing with them.. works somewhat

oxachillesxo
Member Avatar
Zygotes
I never heard of this before. I think I will try it sometime and record the results. My FH is too young for the mirror right now, I'm guessing. So will have to wait til he is a bit older.
(my flowerhorn progression blog)

Mentat
Member Avatar
"Evil One"
oxachillesxo
Aug 18 2011, 11:05 PM
I never heard of this before. I think I will try it sometime and record the results. My FH is too young for the mirror right now, I'm guessing. So will have to wait til he is a bit older.
You can start with juveniles if they are alone and around couple inches. If placing mirror in tank would recommend you keep in for around 10 to 12 minutes, once or twice a day. Another method is to hold a hand mirror outside the tank and play with your fish, just be careful you do not bump mirror into glass.

IMO it's all about providing a positive stimulus and it will vary from fish to fish cool guy . Some will flare and attack reflection until exhausted, others will like to follow a moving mirror around tank, and others will not place much attention to it.
In dwelling, live close to the ground. In thinking, keep it simple. In conflict, be fair and generous. In governing, don't control. In work, do what you enjoy. In family life, be completely present. - Tao Te Ching

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · POLLS · Next Topic »
Add Reply

FHRUS Donation Box

Google

GS/GO SOLD HERE! Click RUS LOGO

photo sumobanner2rf2_zpsspafktw1.gif

Vote For FHRUS!!
Aquariumrank.com - Ranking the Top Aquarium Sites on the Internet