"FHRUS" A site dedicated to promoting the hobby of raising Flowerhorns and other Aquatic Pets. "Finding Answers Together" While Building a Wonderful Family within a Fish Community One person at a Time!!!
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit here at FHRUS.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Lighting for FH tanks
Topic Started: Oct 13 2016, 07:29 AM (351 Views)
Puck
Zygotes
I was wondering what the appropriate light set up for fh tank is. Right now I have an 8 watt LED reading light over my aquarium. It's turned on for at least 15 hours a day. I don't know if it's built for that kind of usage or whether it's supplying the proper light to the tank. I was thinking of getting a proper light for my tank, but I've no idea what kind of light to get or how many watts it should be.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DIRTY REDD
Member Avatar
Team RUs East Coast
I have switched my tanks to LED lighting. I turn them on in the evening when I get home around 5 and turn them off at around 10, they receive daylight during the rest of the hours. Look on amazon and ebay, some pretty good deals out there for LEDs
Edited by DIRTY REDD, Oct 13 2016, 09:31 AM.

Puck
Zygotes
Thank you as usual, Redd! I have to keep mine turned on for most of the day because the tank is in a position where it doesn't get any sunlight, I only turn them off when I go to bed. I think it would be wise to invest in proper lighting since the lamp only lights up half of the tank while the rest is only half lit.

On a side note, I'm happy to say that Sparky's finnages are starting to grow back somewhat. They're definitely longer than they were a few days ago and he's been moving around more, which I'll take as a good sign.

Mentat
Member Avatar
"Evil One"
Puck
Oct 13 2016, 10:07 AM
.. the tank is in a position where it doesn't get any sunlight..
You do not want any direct sunlight reaching tank because of temperature effect and it will possibly cause algae blooms. Indirect room sunlight is fine it's all good . If your room has no windows, can run lights around 10-12 hours a day.
In dwelling, live close to the ground. In thinking, keep it simple. In conflict, be fair and generous. In governing, don't control. In work, do what you enjoy. In family life, be completely present. - Tao Te Ching

Puck
Zygotes
It's quite the opposite in fact. My room has a giant window it's like 6 foot across. It just so happens that the aquarium is at an angle where it doesn't get direct sunlight.

I plan to get a Dymax LED light REX lighting from my lfs for around $60. It comes with a white and blue light. It looks pretty good to me.

DIRTY REDD
Member Avatar
Team RUs East Coast
I don't have that brand, but its the same general principle. That style looks good on my tanks.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Fresh Water Talk · Next Topic »
Add Reply

FHRUS Donation Box

Google

GS/GO SOLD HERE! Click RUS LOGO

photo sumobanner2rf2_zpsspafktw1.gif

Vote For FHRUS!!
Aquariumrank.com - Ranking the Top Aquarium Sites on the Internet