"FHRUS" A site dedicated to promoting the hobby of raising Flowerhorns and other Aquatic Pets. "Finding Answers Together" While Building a Wonderful Family within a Fish Community One person at a Time!!!
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit here at FHRUS.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Eye Infection; Flowerhorn Eye Blood Clot
Topic Started: Jan 8 2018, 02:40 AM (264 Views)
Obaid
Zygotes
I have a flowerhorn of abt 6" alone in a 40g tank. Last week i noticed a blood clot inside the eye and it has been increasing since then. It is unable see from that eye. Have been doing waterchanges daily 20-30%. No improvement seen. Kindly Advice.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Miss Sunshine
Member Avatar
Addicted to flowerhorns
A pic would really help!

If its an infection, narrowing down the exact type of infection is the firsts step, which can be done with a pic/vid...

The next step would be in case of an infection, treat the fh with an antibiotic that targets the pathogen.

Do you have any sharp objects like rocks in the tank that might have caused an injury?

Obaid
Zygotes
No i dont have any sharp structures in my aqua which might have caused the injury,
Find attached the Pics of the current situation. You can see that almost half of the eye has become red(filled with blood).

thanks,

pic1
Posted Image
pic2
Posted Image
Pic3
Posted Image
Attached to this post:
Attachments: IMG_20180111_020838.jpg (198.72 KB)
Attachments: IMG_20180111_020719.jpg (195.92 KB)
Attachments: IMG_20180110_203209.jpg (195.51 KB)
Edited by Obaid, Jan 10 2018, 11:43 PM.

Miss Sunshine
Member Avatar
Addicted to flowerhorns
Doesnt look like an infection, maybe a capillary has burst in his eye... Vanz, input needed!!!

Obaid
Zygotes
What do u suggest now?

Miss Sunshine
Member Avatar
Addicted to flowerhorns
I have pinged someone who might have answers, will get back to you ASAP

Miss Sunshine
Member Avatar
Addicted to flowerhorns
This is the input I got:

Issue is possibly due to stress and not enough water changes and/or inadequate filtration

For now the only remedy is increase water changes from 25% to 50% or add an additional water change during the week.

This is mainly caused by induced stress. Many variables may have caused this since I am not there. Adding dither fish too soon, handling the fish out of the tank too much, dropping the fish, too low of ph is another possibility.

Also, I would like to add that, if you could let us know the exact water change schedule along with which filtration unit you use and how often the filter is cleaned then we could suggest some extra tips.

thank you

Obaid
Zygotes
ITS GETTING WORSE!!! The other eye is also effected now. I can see a small blood clot forming inside the eye.
Also if i look very closely there is a white layer covering both the Eyes now.

Well i am currently changing 35-45% water every alternate day.I have an internal Power head filter running.
Flowerhorn is eating fine (though difficult to locate the food) and the poop is also as normal.

Any medication you can suggest. Will adding Salt help in any way??

Miss Sunshine
Member Avatar
Addicted to flowerhorns
Looks like the start of cloudy eye...

Non-iodised salt helps in varying degrees depending on the nature of the illness, it is generally used to treat cuts, wounds, minor infections, as a general aid medicine and as a de-stressing agent.

If it is indeed cloudy eye then antibiotics will have to be used.

Please do not dump random medicines in the tank, this might kill your fh.

To diagnose for sure and to be able to tell which meds need to be used, I would need you to upload a pic of his full tank, along with details of filtration, siphoning schedule, water change schedule,filter cleaning schedule and liter/gallon capacity of his tank thank you

FlowerHornRus
Member Avatar
Administrator
hmmm?? wow.. This is a first. In my whole entire life I've never seen or dealt with before. It does look like a blood vessel has popped in the eyes.. for humans it does occurs and is also consider rare which could be caused from several reasons, but main one is stress.

Now putting it on the fish perspective. I'm not sure how could it happen? Didnt know that a fish eye does have blood vessels or could burst specially not by any damages. The usual eye infection that FH has would be popeye and with that early cure is the best cure. But Im baffled on what caused it.. not sure how to threat it if its not bacteria or parasite related.

with humans its mainly rest and good dieting.. and not to catch a secondary infection. with this I'm believing to mainly keep the fish quarantine in an isolated tank. take anything out that it injure itself with, keep the water parameter optimal and keep observing for any changes.

would you have any more pictures specially of the eye?

Posted Image

It takes 36 muscles to make a FROWN... crying
But it ONLY takes ONE FISH to make a Smile!!!
grinning

Obaid
Zygotes
As mentioned earlier i have power head filter running. Currently i changing about 35-45% water every alternate day and the filter in every two weeks.
And i am using API stress coat after the water changes. The Temperature is set at 28℃
The Redness Inside the eye (blood) has slightly reduced & A very thin white layer is covering both the Eyes.
Still active and Eating fine.
I will be attaching the picture soon.

Pic1
Posted Image
Pic2
Posted Image
Pic3
Posted Image
Pic4
Posted Image
Attached to this post:
Attachments: IMG_20180120_182537.jpg (195.31 KB)
Attachments: IMG_20180120_220549.jpg (196.03 KB)
Attachments: IMG_20180120_215627.jpg (199.42 KB)
Attachments: IMG_20180120_221050_1.jpg (198.35 KB)
Edited by Obaid, Jan 21 2018, 06:26 AM.

FlowerHornRus
Member Avatar
Administrator
Hmmm.. The right side from the pics..the eyes appears to be normal..about the left, I'm still not sure..you stated it's still active and eating fine..if it does atleast it's healthy and doesn't look like it has any infection. Not sure, maybe a blood vessel burst? hmmm??

But atleast you see the blood in the eyes are getting lesser? Then from that I believe you are doing the right thing. Keep it up..hope for a full recovery

Posted Image

It takes 36 muscles to make a FROWN... crying
But it ONLY takes ONE FISH to make a Smile!!!
grinning

Obaid
Zygotes
Yea, the blood inside the eye has definitely reduced during the past week, which is a good sign.
But i am more worried about the whiteness that is covering the eyes currently. And it seems like it is increasing gradually....

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Our Angels in Heaven: · Next Topic »
Add Reply

FHRUS Donation Box

Google

GS/GO SOLD HERE! Click RUS LOGO

photo sumobanner2rf2_zpsspafktw1.gif

Vote For FHRUS!!
Aquariumrank.com - Ranking the Top Aquarium Sites on the Internet