"FHRUS" A site dedicated to promoting the hobby of raising Flowerhorns and other Aquatic Pets. "Finding Answers Together" While Building a Wonderful Family within a Fish Community One person at a Time!!!
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit here at FHRUS.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Do Thai Silks Lose Color over time?; Interested in Thai Silk but unsure if they keep color.
Topic Started: Apr 5 2018, 11:10 AM (156 Views)
Asiyah
Member Avatar
Zygotes
Good afternoon!

I am new to owning flowerhorns. The only cichlid I owned in the past was an albino Oscar. I want to get a flowerhorn but have been on the fence as far as which one to get. I used to want a Kamfa but after looking up Thai Silks, I really want one. I love the blue body with red eyes. I have been researching online on what foods will enhance this (from what I have read it seems anything high in spirulina and to avoid too much color enhancers or color enhancers that target red coloring.). My question for anyone who knows is: Will the Thai silks fade from their original pearly blue into something else like white or silver? If that is the case then I don't want that to happen. I understand that probably to keep them looking good I would need to continue to feed them the good ideal diet, but what I'm talking about is, is it the overall fate of the fish that it will just fade over time anyway.
Thanks in advance!

Asiyah
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

FlowerHornRus
Member Avatar
Administrator
Asiyah
Apr 5 2018, 11:10 AM
Good afternoon!

I am new to owning flowerhorns. The only cichlid I owned in the past was an albino Oscar. I want to get a flowerhorn but have been on the fence as far as which one to get. I used to want a Kamfa but after looking up Thai Silks, I really want one. I love the blue body with red eyes. I have been researching online on what foods will enhance this (from what I have read it seems anything high in spirulina and to avoid too much color enhancers or color enhancers that target red coloring.). My question for anyone who knows is: Will the Thai silks fade from their original pearly blue into something else like white or silver? If that is the case then I don't want that to happen. I understand that probably to keep them looking good I would need to continue to feed them the good ideal diet, but what I'm talking about is, is it the overall fate of the fish that it will just fade over time anyway.
Thanks in advance!

Asiyah
Hi Asiyah.. great question.. but from what I see about them. I dont believe they will fade. But I do see that if they are the titanium kind,the pearls are not like sheens and some may start to smear. but if like the regular zz based thai silk which are covered fully sheened, except some doesnt have on the head. I believe they wont fade over time. But color wised not all has the same coloration. Some appears more blue and some lighter in color. But then again thai silk are bred true

Posted Image

It takes 36 muscles to make a FROWN... crying
But it ONLY takes ONE FISH to make a Smile!!!
grinning

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Fins of Fury
Member Avatar
2" Frys
The color of thai silk comes from a pearl mutation. The pearls are actually above the skin and are from guinine (?) deposits in the scale. The only thing that would make the color come off is removing the scales. The thing to be aware of with silks is inbreeding depression or weakness. They are beautiful fish I had a male for a few years.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Newbie Corners · Next Topic »
Add Reply

FHRUS Donation Box

Google

GS/GO SOLD HERE! Click RUS LOGO

photo sumobanner2rf2_zpsspafktw1.gif

Vote For FHRUS!!
Aquariumrank.com - Ranking the Top Aquarium Sites on the Internet