"FHRUS" A site dedicated to promoting the hobby of raising Flowerhorns and other Aquatic Pets. "Finding Answers Together" While Building a Wonderful Family within a Fish Community One person at a Time!!!
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit here at FHRUS.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Water Changes
Once a week 108 (59%)
Twice a week 36 (19.7%)
Once every 2 weeks 21 (11.5%)
Once every 3 weeks 4 (2.2%)
Once a month 6 (3.3%)
Other 8 (4.4%)
Total Votes: 183
Water Changes
Topic Started: Apr 22 2010, 12:51 AM (11,432 Views)
petah
Member Avatar
FHRUS
Just curious how often do you guys do a water change? if you can include the amount of water changed, how many tanks and also what size tanks..

Team R'US

feel free to add me on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/petah.fhrus
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SiR831
Member Avatar
4" Juvies
I have a 125 gal with just a 13" Silver Aro and that gets a water change once a month. I also have 2 55 gal & 20 gal long that get water change every 2 weeks max or every week....I know my tanks / fish are neglected

Bud
Member Avatar
* BOWHUNTER FOR LIFE *
I do a 75% on all 17 tanks weekly.I do half on Sat and the other half on Sun
Edited by Bud, Sep 14 2010, 05:10 AM.
Though love blossoms in your tank, its your heart that skips a beat.
While they dream about each other, its your eyes that haven't blinked.
by kastor

ITS ALL FOR THE LOVE OF THE FISH

scotty61
Member Avatar
15" 3x Champions
I have 14 tanks running at the moment. 3 are 75gal... 1 is a 125gal... and 8 are 55gal... oops and 2 are 20gal..

and I do a 25% W/c a week. and if all poss. I will only use aged water. side note alway make sure water temp. is alway the same as the water in the tank if not a tiny bit warmer.
florida flowerhorn breeder
"respect"it's not just a word you earn it
"FHRUS"it's not just a word it's home

Deleted User
Deleted User

Depends on the tank and/or what is living in the tank & what type of food I feed that day... so I select other...
Quote Post Goto Top

petah
Member Avatar
FHRUS
Well I have 2 tanks running a 60gal and a 30gal, I use to do a 25% water change once a week but now im starting to make it once every 2 weeks in order to save water...
Team R'US

feel free to add me on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/petah.fhrus

KokKing
Member Avatar
"Rookie of the year"
Yeah I'm at about 30% every week.

Deleted User
Deleted User

I have one 180 gallon two 135 gallon. Three 60 gallon and four 30 gallon all of them get a weekly water changes 35 % and I add salt for every water changes
Quote Post Goto Top

bfResH562
Member Avatar
2" Frys
i have 3 tank, 60, 50, 30. i just add water when the water level get low but about every month i do about 10-15 percent water change, i add a bit of aq salt and stress coat and my fishes seem really happy... :x i think if you take care of your fish too much they get stress out you'll do more dmg then good. lol :x that is what i did when i started off... when i see poop i would go grab my vacuum :x haha
Posted Image

Bud
Member Avatar
* BOWHUNTER FOR LIFE *
bfResH562
Apr 26 2010, 02:55 AM
i have 3 tank, 60, 50, 30. i just add water when the water level get low but about every month i do about 10-15 percent water change, i add a bit of aq salt and stress coat and my fishes seem really happy... :x i think if you take care of your fish too much they get stress out you'll do more dmg then good. lol :x that is what i did when i started off... when i see poop i would go grab my vacuum :x haha
Do you check your water parameters very offend.That can't me good on your fish
by kastor

Miss Sunshine
Member Avatar
Addicted to flowerhorns
I usually change 30% water once a week for all my tanks (3x65 gallons, 1x75 gallons, 1x20 gallons) but for the larger flowerhorns I change 30% water twice a week... Time to get better filters!
Edited by Miss Sunshine, Apr 26 2010, 08:09 PM.

bfResH562
Member Avatar
2" Frys
nope, if i see the water getting dirty, cloudy then ill do a water change right away. if not ill just add more water and let it be. not sure about being bad but they seem happy lol
Posted Image

Deleted User
Deleted User

bfResH562
Apr 27 2010, 11:30 PM
nope, if i see the water getting dirty, cloudy then ill do a water change right away. if not ill just add more water and let it be. not sure about being bad but they seem happy lol
Not good in the long run though... keep watch of Nitrates building up...
Quote Post Goto Top

bfResH562
Member Avatar
2" Frys
with little fry, the build up shouldnt be to much right? and if i have a good filter it shouldnt build up too much? mmm
Posted Image

Deleted User
Deleted User

bfResH562
Apr 29 2010, 02:20 AM
with little fry, the build up shouldnt be to much right? and if i have a good filter it shouldnt build up too much? mmm
....should be fine..... with fry you don't want to change things around to much... yes good filter & no overfeeding all good!
Quote Post Goto Top

vagvader
Member Avatar
"The Greek FH virus"
I do 50% weekly and my waters are crystal clear! thumbs up

Viejaman323
Member Avatar
6" Juvies
once a week 25 percent looks crystal clear water i use from tap but went to homedepot but a wholehouse filter so i just connect water hose n filler up works good
flowerhorn in da hood

Bud
Member Avatar
* BOWHUNTER FOR LIFE *
On my fry tanks which I have 13 right now I do a 50% every day from the first time I feed them tell the are big enough to sell
Edited by Bud, Feb 3 2012, 08:28 AM.
by kastor

Mentat
Member Avatar
"Evil One"
bfResH562
Apr 29 2010, 02:20 AM
... and if i have a good filter it shouldnt build up too much? mmm
If referring to nitrate build-up; a good bio-filter system actually 'builds them up" as it degrades ammonia to nitrites and finally to nitrates. Pretty much, the simplest way to remove nitrates from freshwater tanks is to dilute their concentration by doing water changes.

Frequency and volume of water change will depend mainly on: tank water volume; fish biomass; metabolism (directly related to water temperature); and feeding habits. You can estimate water change needs by using a nitrate test kit right after water change and adjusting volume, frequency or both as required.
In dwelling, live close to the ground. In thinking, keep it simple. In conflict, be fair and generous. In governing, don't control. In work, do what you enjoy. In family life, be completely present. - Tao Te Ching

fhk9
Member Avatar
Fantastic FH
i have one 125g with FH, three 30g with shrimp, one 55g with guppies, one 65g with shrimp, three 10g guppies fry. W/C 5-10% every 4 days with prime and aquarium salt. filter clean every two weeks.

Fishme559
Member Avatar
2x BullDogHorn Raffle Champ
Only once per week at 10%

FHM_USA
*FlowerHornMania _ USA*
2x a week on overstocked tanks.

leelong2k
1" Frys
my tank is 30Gal, and I have the water filter ON 24/7. Thus, water vaporized, and I have to add 1 additional gallon of water every 2-3 days. I also did a 25% water change every 2 weeks. I'm not sure what I did is recommended, but my fish looks healthy and strong. So, I keep doing that. hehe..

Miss Sunshine
Member Avatar
Addicted to flowerhorns
Ideally 40% water should be changed once a week if you have good filters.. If your filters are not so good then you should change 30 - 40% water twice a week...

bfResH562
Member Avatar
2" Frys
i think 40% once a week might be too much :x
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · POLLS · Next Topic »
Add Reply

FHRUS Donation Box

Google

GS/GO SOLD HERE! Click RUS LOGO

photo sumobanner2rf2_zpsspafktw1.gif

Vote For FHRUS!!
Aquariumrank.com - Ranking the Top Aquarium Sites on the Internet