"FHRUS" A site dedicated to promoting the hobby of raising Flowerhorns and other Aquatic Pets. "Finding Answers Together" While Building a Wonderful Family within a Fish Community One person at a Time!!!
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit here at FHRUS.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Which color gravel
Red 4 (20%)
Multi-color 3 (15%)
Blue 0 (0%)
Natural 7 (35%)
Sand 6 (30%)
Total Votes: 20
Substrate
Topic Started: Jun 18 2011, 02:23 PM (1,247 Views)
Trashcore
Zygotes
Will color improve my flowerhorn?
Edited by Trashcore, Jun 18 2011, 02:25 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

noeleezy
Zygotes
good question how come no experts are answering.. mines bare bottom right now

Mentat
Member Avatar
"Evil One"
Environment (substrate, background) has an effect on most fish, specially tonal differences. A lighter gravel or background will result in a lighter color fish and vice-versa.

Since my substrate is a bit of puka shells and aragonite (mostly white) to buffer water; I use colorful backgrounds. Also, I throw in some aquarium multi-color plastic "gems." Most my FH like playing with them.
In dwelling, live close to the ground. In thinking, keep it simple. In conflict, be fair and generous. In governing, don't control. In work, do what you enjoy. In family life, be completely present. - Tao Te Ching

oxachillesxo
Member Avatar
Zygotes
I plan on keeping my FH in a tank with a black background and black sand substrate. Not sure if it will have any effect on his colors or not. I have read different places online that having brightly colored backgrounds/substrate (blue background, white substrate) is best to keep colors bright, but I have also read that is false. Either way, I'm still doing black with black since it looks very nice. I plan on doing it with all my tanks in the future.
(my flowerhorn progression blog)

Paintsn
Member Avatar
>>>NeWbIe 4LiFe<<<
i voted none.. but its all bout the type of fish you have and what colors are they..

most fish with double row with pearls do good with black background.. for ti makes them stand out

and most colored fish are best with colored rocks..since some do pushes their colors toward their surroundings, but with all my tanks since they are kamfas..i got only crush corals to keep the ph within

good poll thank you
http://flowerhornrus.com/
SAD??? sad is seeing that wrinkled face in the mirror of a NOBODY and knowing that life is given by Borrowed Time,
And to the Truth is, Being alive and not knowing how to LIVE...
Now that is sad!!!

ONE DAY CLOSER TO DEATH!!!

So Therefore... My Dream is My Reality and My Reality is My Dream, And If I am in MY Reality, Then I could do So as I pleases AS in My DREAM!!!

Paintings In MY MIND by PAINTSN

Click Banner

Posted Image

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

TGK
Zygotes
oxachillesxo
Aug 20 2011, 06:40 PM
I plan on keeping my FH in a tank with a black background and black sand substrate. Not sure if it will have any effect on his colors or not. I have read different places online that having brightly colored backgrounds/substrate (blue background, white substrate) is best to keep colors bright, but I have also read that is false. Either way, I'm still doing black with black since it looks very nice. I plan on doing it with all my tanks in the future.
Try it out and let us know how it goes or post a picture when the set up is up and running.

But IMO black gravel and black background is probably a little to much darkness in your tank. Might cause the fh
to not color much. But you never know so go for it.

You can also try black background and a different gravel to balance it out.

AngryCichlids
Zygotes
Does having colorful substrate actually enhance color or just create contrast between the fish and surrounding?

Coflowerhornguy
Member Avatar
2" Frys
I'm all for sand!

Flowerhorns13
1" Frys
I have large natural colored gravel, I think that multi-colored gravel is tacky.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · POLLS · Next Topic »
Add Reply

FHRUS Donation Box

Google

GS/GO SOLD HERE! Click RUS LOGO

photo sumobanner2rf2_zpsspafktw1.gif

Vote For FHRUS!!
Aquariumrank.com - Ranking the Top Aquarium Sites on the Internet