[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/197/uxbe.gif/][IMG]http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/5383/uxbe.gif[/IMG][/URL] "FHRUS" A site dedicated to promoting the hobby of raising Flowerhorns and other Aquatic Pets. "Finding Answers Together" While Building a Wonderful Family within a Fish Community One person at a Time!!!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit here at FHRUS.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Need Help Urgently – Flower-Horn Blotted Stomach; Need Help Urgently – Flower-Horn Blotted Stomach
Topic Started: Jul 13 2011, 09:41 AM (6,344 Views)
sher
Zygotes
Hi All
I recently observed that my flower-horn fish’s stomach has been blotted and I am not sure what to do. I am attaching photos of my fish herewith and request you to kindly let me know if you have solution to cure this decease. I am very concerned and please reply ASAP.

My flower-horn is Red Dragon and about 10 inches long and is 1.5 years old.

My tank holds about 100 gallons of water and i have put my fish into Metronidazole medication (2000mg) from past 2 days. I do not see any improvements in my fish's condition.

I have stopped feeding my fish from past 2 days.

Thanks,
Sher
Attached to this post:
Attachments: FlowerHorn_003.jpg (43.34 KB)
Attachments: FlowerHorn_004.jpg (52.58 KB)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Miss Sunshine
Member Avatar
Addicted to flowerhorns
I hate to say this but your flowerhorn doesnt look good.. Is his poop white and stringy?

Mentat
Member Avatar
"Evil One"
From looking at pictures appears only the stomach is bloated; which is good since most forms of bloating are hard to cure, although a course of antibiotics may sometimes be effective where bacteria are to blame. Metro does work against some internal bacteria; but you should increase dosage to 2,500 mg. for the whole tank since regular dosage is 250 mg. per 10 gal.

If you note fish scales are popping out due to edema there is not much to do since it means bacteria damaged fish kidney to failure I'm sorry . You can continue the Metro treatment for up to 10 days if there is edema and hope for the best.

The better news is that it could just be constipation and you already took the first measure which is to withhold feeding and see if fish will clear up blockage. Also, could try to offer skinned thawed peas to provide some fiber to help clear intestine. Could you please describe normal fish diet and check to verify if it's just stomach; or is there edema and whole fish is swelling up? good luck
In dwelling, live close to the ground. In thinking, keep it simple. In conflict, be fair and generous. In governing, don't control. In work, do what you enjoy. In family life, be completely present. - Tao Te Ching

sher
Zygotes
Miss Sunshine
Jul 13 2011, 11:46 AM
I hate to say this but your flowerhorn doesnt look good.. Is his poop white and stringy?
My Flower-horn's poop is not white and stringy. I am not sure if he is going for motion.
Mentat
Jul 13 2011, 11:58 AM
From looking at pictures appears only the stomach is bloated; which is good since most forms of bloating are hard to cure, although a course of antibiotics may sometimes be effective where bacteria are to blame. Metro does work against some internal bacteria; but you should increase dosage to 2,500 mg. for the whole tank since regular dosage is 250 mg. per 10 gal.

If you note fish scales are popping out due to edema there is not much to do since it means bacteria damaged fish kidney to failure I'm sorry . You can continue the Metro treatment for up to 10 days if there is edema and hope for the best.

The better news is that it could just be constipation and you already took the first measure which is to withhold feeding and see if fish will clear up blockage. Also, could try to offer skinned thawed peas to provide some fiber to help clear intestine. Could you please describe normal fish diet and check to verify if it's just stomach; or is there edema and whole fish is swelling up? good luck
Thanks for the response. I will increase the dosage today by another 1000 mg. Let’s see if it makes my fish better. Also my fish scales are not popping out and looks to be normal. Only thing is stomach has been blotted and it is not reducing. Someone asked me to feed little garlic to fish and I did that yesterday but do not see any major change in condition of fish. About edema, I feel it is just stomach as all other parts of fish looks very normal. Appreciate your help please!!! .
Edited by sher, Jul 13 2011, 08:14 PM.

henri
Member Avatar
15" 3x Champions
That doesn't look good. Keep water condition optimal and follow the medicine treatment, reduce the temperature down a little, don't add salt. Those are the tips i learned from here to treat bloating. Good luck.
Team R Us - FlowerhornRus.com

Mentat
Member Avatar
"Evil One"
sher
Jul 13 2011, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the response. I will increase the dosage today by another 1000 mg. Let’s see if it makes my fish better. Also my fish scales are not popping out and looks to be normal. Only thing is stomach has been blotted and it is not reducing. Someone asked me to feed little garlic to fish and I did that yesterday but do not see any major change in condition of fish. About edema, I feel it is just stomach as all other parts of fish looks very normal. Appreciate your help please!!! .
It's good news fish has no edema since that is usually fatal. If your fish diet has consisted on mostly protein (shrimp, fish, etc.) he's probably constipated.

Garlic wont hurt the FH. It works as food flavor enhancer and also has natural anti-parasite component; but have no idea if good for constipation (if that is case). My FH eat food soaked in garlic extract but do not like it raw. If your fish eats it it won't hurt.

Keep up with medication (to help fight possible internal bacteria), continue water changes, and try to get fish to eat food with vegetable matter to provide roughage (skinned peas, cucumber, orange pieces, etc.).

Also, forgot to ask if fish has pooped since stomach swelled and how long ago did you noticed it?
In dwelling, live close to the ground. In thinking, keep it simple. In conflict, be fair and generous. In governing, don't control. In work, do what you enjoy. In family life, be completely present. - Tao Te Ching

sher
Zygotes
Mentat
Jul 14 2011, 01:40 AM
sher
Jul 13 2011, 08:07 PM
It's good news fish has no edema since that is usually fatal. If your fish diet has consisted on mostly protein (shrimp, fish, etc.) he's probably constipated.

Garlic wont hurt the FH. It works as food flavor enhancer and also has natural anti-parasite component; but have no idea if good for constipation (if that is case). My FH eat food soaked in garlic extract but do not like it raw. If your fish eats it it won't hurt.

Keep up with medication (to help fight possible internal bacteria), continue water changes, and try to get fish to eat food with vegetable matter to provide roughage (skinned peas, cucumber, orange pieces, etc.).

Also, forgot to ask if fish has pooped since stomach swelled and how long ago did you noticed it?
My fish has not pooped since long time... at least I have not noticed it but I am confident that he has not... I have not done any water change since 1 week.. if I do water change then medication will not get diluted? Also I have heater on so should I turn it off? Till not the condition of the fish is same as it was 3 days back… not even a sight change in his stomach size increase…

Also I am not feeding fish from past 3 days… he looks very active bit as he has not pooped I am scared to feed him… so please advice what I should do?

Mentat
Member Avatar
"Evil One"
sher
Jul 14 2011, 05:35 AM
My fish has not pooped since long time... at least I have not noticed it but I am confident that he has not... I have not done any water change since 1 week.. if I do water change then medication will not get diluted? Also I have heater on so should I turn it off? Till not the condition of the fish is same as it was 3 days back… not even a sight change in his stomach size increase…

Also I am not feeding fish from past 3 days… he looks very active bit as he has not pooped I am scared to feed him… so please advice what I should do?
You can do up to 25% water changes daily while medicating. Metro is to be administered daily for 7-10 days at the rate of 250 mg./10 gal. In your 100 gal. that's 2,500 mg. daily; just dose right after water change.

Set temperature around 81-83F; when there is possibility of bacteria you do not want water too warm, since they will multiply faster.

Have you tried any of the vegetable high fiber foods I mentioned in previous post (skinned peas, cucumber pieces, orange pieces, etc.). What is your normal diet for this fish?

sher
Zygotes
It is not eating any food. I feed him humpy head 2 times a day.

Mentat
Member Avatar
"Evil One"
sher
Jul 14 2011, 10:47 AM
Let's hope he can clear constipation soon. Once that happens would feed 1/2 his pellets of a kind with more vegetable content; like Hikari Excel. good luck

sher
Zygotes
Mentat
Jul 14 2011, 01:55 PM
sher
Jul 14 2011, 10:47 AM
Let's hope he can clear constipation soon. Once that happens would feed 1/2 his pellets of a kind with more vegetable content; like Hikari Excel. good luck
i do not see any improvements in my fish... in fact it has lost his color completely.. Looks very weak as i did not feed him for 4 days... I felt bad... so i started feeding the fish from yesterday... now i see fish is more active but still his stomach blot has not reduced...

i am not sure will my fish survive this illness and not sure how long he will be alive but i have decided that until that i want him to live normal life... so i will continue feeding and move him out of medication tomorrow (he is on medications from past 8 days) and see what happens...

i'm REALLY lost
Edited by sher, Jul 16 2011, 09:33 AM.

Miss Sunshine
Member Avatar
Addicted to flowerhorns
Without medication your flowerhorn will not have a fighting chance... I get that u want him to live a normal life but he is ill and he needs medicines..
Epsom salt is known to help in solving constipation problems..
Edited by Miss Sunshine, Jul 16 2011, 10:16 AM.

Mentat
Member Avatar
"Evil One"
sher
Jul 16 2011, 09:30 AM
i do not see any improvements in my fish... in fact it has lost his color completely.. Looks very weak as i did not feed him for 4 days... I felt bad... so i started feeding the fish from yesterday... now i see fish is more active but still his stomach blot has not reduced...

i am not sure will my fish survive this illness and not sure how long he will be alive but i have decided that until that i want him to live normal life... so i will continue feeding and move him out of medication tomorrow (he is on medications from past 8 days) and see what happens...

i'm REALLY lost
Hello and I'm sorry for your fish and the situation you are going through. Also I'm not going to second guess you; it's your fish and you make the decisions regarding it.

I'm a bit confused because from previous post thought your FH was not eating, and that was the reason you could not feed him the peas. Thawed frozen peas, either soaked in warmed water or slightly microwaved the peas for a few seconds to soften them up and remove the shell, are the best food to cure a fish constipation.

Agree with Sis you could also use Epsom salts (found in supermarkets and drugstores for soaking). Although mostly used during Dropsy and water retention problems; Epsom salts do have a mild laxative effect in fish. Would start with a large water change (around 30%) and then add 1/8 of a teaspoon per 5 gal. (2.5 teaspoons for your 100 gal. tank). Repeat dose daily until fish poops or you reach a max concentration of 1 teaspoon per 5 gal. in a week.

Once fish poops stop the Epson salt treatment and normal water changes will remove it. Then you can start feeding pellets again; but I do recommend a more varied diet that includes vegetable matter, spirulina, and whole krill.

One more thing; have you dewormed this FH or treated for internal parasites lately? good luck

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Register Now
« Previous Topic · Medical Area/Nutrition/Health · Next Topic »
Add Reply

FHRUS Donation Box

Google

GS/GO SOLD HERE! Click RUS LOGO
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

FHRUS AFFILIATES

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Vote For FHRUS!!
All Tropical Fish Topsites List Aquariumrank.com - Ranking the Top Aquarium Sites on the Internet