"FHRUS" A site dedicated to promoting the hobby of raising Flowerhorns and other Aquatic Pets. "Finding Answers Together" While Building a Wonderful Family within a Fish Community One person at a Time!!!
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit here at FHRUS.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Arowana and Flowerhorn
Topic Started: Jun 26 2012, 12:58 AM (4,561 Views)
Tony2394
1" Frys
i was wondering can i keep em together in the same tank?
both are juves
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

FISHMAKER
Member Avatar
"Happy Feet"
well how big is your tank? i wouldn't do it because normally they'll go at it especially the flowerhorn. I have seen some ppl let their arowana and flowerhorn live together but if i remember correctly the aro was much larger than the flowerhorn. iono gotta see what other say but i say dont do it unless u got like 150 gal tank or something :D
Posted Image
The journey that takes place is worth more than the destination in itself :].

kvdragon
Member Avatar
" MN-FH_Breeder "
saw some people keep arowana and flowerhorn together but not just the 2 alone, they have some other large SA and SA cichlids with them. If keeping just the 2 together was your planned then I don't think it worth a try. As Fishmaker said, your flowerhorn will go at the aro.

FLOWERHORNKEEPERS.COM
MINNFISH.COM
SIMPLYDISCUS.COM
FLOWERHORNCRAZE.COM

Miss Sunshine
Member Avatar
Addicted to flowerhorns
Bad idea unless you have dither fish and a 150 gallon +...

Flowerhorns tend to be aggressive, especially those who are on thai mineral..

Renaldo
Member Avatar
2" Frys
I also ask the same question before, but in my experience you can keep them together if both are still small and new in the tank but after like 2 weeks the fh will try to kill the arowana by nibbling at its tail and fins first then go for the kill will go for the eyes first (I dont know why is it always the eyes).
Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. ...

FISHMAKER
Member Avatar
"Happy Feet"
eyes are one of the vital spot to most living organism. if you want to kill something fast, go for its weak spot. So the fh killing instinct takes place. that is what i am presuming.
Posted Image
The journey that takes place is worth more than the destination in itself :].

Flowerhorn714
Member Avatar
3" Frys
From my experience, if they are the same size & FH is larger, arrowana is at risk. If arrowana is much larger than FH, that's easy...advantage arrowana. My FHs tend to attack each other than mess with the big boy. I also have couple parrots hiding in there too...having places for them to retreat helps.

Posted Image
Edited by Flowerhorn714, Jul 11 2012, 07:43 PM.

castrol
Member Avatar
4" Juvies
dun try that, both might suffer big injuries, or even get kill..depends on their sizes..
i only have one life, one time, once a life time to die...i rather get old n senile without memories better then getting old with lots of regrets about things tat i haven accomplish when i had the chance

twotimes
Member Avatar
LONELY*ARIZONA*BREEDER
Flowerhorn714
Jul 11 2012, 07:42 PM
From my experience, if they are the same size & FH is larger, arrowana is at risk. If arrowana is much larger than FH, that's easy...advantage arrowana. My FHs tend to attack each other than mess with the big boy. I also have couple parrots hiding in there too...having places for them to retreat helps.

Posted Image
how big is your community tank my dream is to have a fh community tank
DJAY

Flowerhorn714
Member Avatar
3" Frys
twotimes
Sep 28 2012, 09:01 PM
Flowerhorn714
Jul 11 2012, 07:42 PM

Posted Image
how big is your community tank my dream is to have a fh community tank
This is 150 gal. Was meant to only hold arro with giant red tail gourami but turned into a growout/holding tank for some FHs because ran out of room in other tanks...fortunately they got along. Sold arro & gourami since tho.

Community FH tank...not a good idea. There will only be one dominant male with a female if they pair up and I've noticed the others do not truly show their vivid colors. To be fair to each fh, they each need their own space to truly shine.

FHs cannot thrive in a community tank the way african cichlids do. Maybe a much bigger tank may work.

Coflowerhornguy
Member Avatar
2" Frys
I don't know my fh female looks great and I have her in with Oscar, a jack, my Texas Red, fire mouth and a convict. My tank is only a 55 gal right now but moving them to a 125 in a couple of weeks but they have all been in the 55 gal for at least 6 months now. I also have a friend with 4 Pirahna 1 Oscar and a arrowana in with a flowerhorn. Do it's doable

atrinh15
2" Frys
If you look at my 240 gallon video. I had my arowana and FHs together plus a bunch of other fish. Better when there young to control them.
Posted Image

siva6162
Member Avatar
1" Frys
I think flowerhorn go to aro. And pick his eyes first then...

HardBodyBullies1
Member Avatar
Zygotes
Im trying it today. Have a 125 show tank with a few other fish. Consist of 2 Parrots, 3 Synspilum, 1 Red Pike, 1 Tigrinus Cat, 1 Dovii, 3 Peacock Bass and my Arowana. Im going to put my Short Body in to see what happens

SaraCampbell
Zygotes
I think keeping both are together is not a good idea because both might suffer big injuries or even get kill.

Glass Company CharlotteGlass Company Charlotte

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Arrowanas · Next Topic »
Add Reply

FHRUS Donation Box

Google

GS/GO SOLD HERE! Click RUS LOGO

photo sumobanner2rf2_zpsspafktw1.gif

Vote For FHRUS!!
Aquariumrank.com - Ranking the Top Aquarium Sites on the Internet