"FHRUS" A site dedicated to promoting the hobby of raising Flowerhorns and other Aquatic Pets. "Finding Answers Together" While Building a Wonderful Family within a Fish Community One person at a Time!!!
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit here at FHRUS.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
New to bettas
Topic Started: Nov 10 2015, 02:37 PM (572 Views)
petah
Member Avatar
FHRUS
Just picked this one up yesterday. Anyone got any tips for betta care?

Posted Image
Edited by petah, Nov 10 2015, 02:38 PM.
Team R'US

feel free to add me on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/petah.fhrus
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jeasley
Zygotes
Nice boy! I keep bettas so i can give some general advice :)

What size tank is he in? Main things are he needs a decent sized tank, no less than 10 litres (ideally 20), plus heater set to 26-28c and a filter (unless you can do frequent 100% water changes).

They can be put on mini pellets, and also like blood worm, black worm, mosquito larvae etc. Pretty much any thing meaty!

Here's one of my boys flaring at a snail haha

Posted Image

Piyush
Member Avatar
7" Adults
+++ to Jeasley, They form bubbles when happy and in breeding mood, they jump solidly and need 100% cover of tank, they are very hardy in order to fight against diseases and they chase finger and bite sometimes... also, they can not stay together with another betta in tank hence called fighter fish too.. Moon tail, peacock and other names given by breeders
Adding. both are beautiful guys over in images... good choices!!!
Edited by Piyush, Nov 10 2015, 07:53 PM.
- PIYOO

petah
Member Avatar
FHRUS
Thank you guys.

I got this one in a jar at the moment. I'm thinking of getting some half to one gallon tank. Do they actually filters, air pumps and all that?

I plan on collecting some more so the more info the better and also a pictures of your set ups would do wonders. Thanks again!

Team R'US

FlowerHornRus
Member Avatar
Administrator
Tony aka Iheart is the man..he's into bettas.. In a club and has been supporting me with bettas

Posted Image

It takes 36 muscles to make a FROWN... crying
But it ONLY takes ONE FISH to make a Smile!!!
grinning

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jeasley
Zygotes
Yep, what Piyush said! grinning

They do need the tank to be at 26-28c yes. I've found the number one cause of bettas not doing well is lack of heat. I have a heater in one of my tanks and the other is sitting on a reptile heat mat which works perfectly and doesn't take up any space inside the tank!

It is also a myth that they only need tiny amounts of water to survive - they CAN live in it but in the wild their territories would be much larger than 1 gallon, and heavily planted, so you can try and replicate that if you want him to not be bored :) If you try and keep the fish in a cold, small jar, you won't get any joy from seeing him that way in my experience, and he will be very lethargic.

They are quite active and intelligent fish so be sure to give him a cave, plants etc to play around with. They also like to rest near the surface of the water as they breathe air from there, so leaves at the top of the tank are good. You don't need an air pump as they breathe from the surface, and any water movement should be slight as they like still water. Don't use anything too sharp in the tank like sharp rocks or plastic plants or he might tear up his tail :)

In my opinion you can get away with not having a filter, so long as you do regular large water changes to stop ammonia build up.

Here are my set ups. They love the plants! I also have some shrimp and nerite snails in with them. Most betta will kill small shrimp but amanos etc are fine. Keeps them entertained!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Piyush
Member Avatar
7" Adults
so this thread made me interested to buy a betta fish to home my spare 10G.. but was having discussion with my wife to acclimate betta in my spare 10G and she reminded me that I had told her to use that 10G as a hospital tank.. and yeah! I had to believe her, at last wife always wins the discussion (Or arguments!!) LOL!!
And Jeasley - beautiful setup...!
Edited by Piyush, Nov 11 2015, 01:03 PM.
- PIYOO

petah
Member Avatar
FHRUS
Thanks jeasley!
Team R'US

jeasley
Zygotes
Haha Piyush, i'd fill every spare bit of space with fish tanks if my boyfriend didn't remind me to be more sensible ;) that's what partners are for!

No problem petah!

Piyush
Member Avatar
7" Adults
Yeah! very true.. !! LOL !!

By the way, I liked the moss balls in second photo, they are moss balls right ?.. I've had some reading and found they are lucky sign for the owner and they do well under the water.!!
- PIYOO

Miss Sunshine
Member Avatar
Addicted to flowerhorns
You have a beautiful betta Peter!

Bettas are hardy fish!! They are one of the few fish that can handle a 100% water change. A 1 gallon or 2 gallon tank will be best with him, artificial silk plants and a bit of gravel will help him feel safe and at home.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Bettas · Next Topic »
Add Reply

FHRUS Donation Box

Google

GS/GO SOLD HERE! Click RUS LOGO

photo sumobanner2rf2_zpsspafktw1.gif

Vote For FHRUS!!
Aquariumrank.com - Ranking the Top Aquarium Sites on the Internet