"FHRUS" A site dedicated to promoting the hobby of raising Flowerhorns and other Aquatic Pets. "Finding Answers Together" While Building a Wonderful Family within a Fish Community One person at a Time!!!
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit here at FHRUS.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
ZZ red dragon- is it?
Topic Started: Mar 10 2016, 05:09 AM (2,526 Views)
adnan
Zygotes
Hi everybody!
My name is Adnan, I am regionally from Bulgaria but I live in Northern Ireland.
Couple of weeks ago a friend of mine had to move to different country and convinced me to take her flowerhorn. So since couple of weeks I have this really very interesting fish. So that friend of mine called the little flowerhorn General, and I like it :)
At the moment General is living in approximately 50 gallon fish tank where before I had Oscar fish, who is moved to another bigger fish tank.
Since couple of weeks I was reading many things about these beautiful hybrid fish but still have to learn a lot.
So my question is- Is that flowerhorn fish ZZ red dragon?

Here is a short video clip of General

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7tb7KA0yX8

And a short clip from last night. General loves digging :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLFXliS7FKI

Maybe it isn't very clear from the clips to identify the type of Flowerhorn. Here there are couple of pictures with better view.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Edited by adnan, Mar 10 2016, 02:34 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Piyush
Member Avatar
7" Adults
HI Adnan, Welcome to the FH family.!

Yes, he is definitely the ZZ having strong personality and sharp attitude..

Editing - Well you can call him as Red Dragon OR Red magma. These names are given by the sellers but the strait is - ZZ

What a setup !!! I liked the tank setup and the "sculpture" and the stones.. Everything is perfect so does the FH.

I would like to share this link here. It looks like the fella you have looking exactly mine one when he was tiny and at day one in my tank.. (I imported it from Thai to USA)

When he arrived :

Most updated video on 11/29

Now he is bigger then above video.. But not having time to take video and upload the most recent, (My client is keeping me very busy and I'm clocking 11-12 hours since a month). And this will be gonna my first weekend to enjoy - Looks as of now, crossing finger..

Well, enjoy your reading here.. and I bet it's the great site with all GREAT members here.. Feel free to ask any questions you have!!

Happy weekend to you and everyone!!!
Edited by Piyush, Mar 11 2016, 08:27 PM.
- PIYOO

Simon
Member Avatar
6" Juvies
Yup, looks like a ZZ red dragon type fish but many fish have mixed genes now. Nice kok potential with him, you can already see a nice hump on his head. Please keep us updated!

Simon

adnan
Zygotes
Thank you for warm welcoming Piyush and Simon :)
So I have ZZ flowerhorn :) Wow, Red Dragon and Red Magma, those are so attractive names. So far my ZZ is very active demonstrating some attitude :) and of course periodically I will keep updating of General (that is his name).
Piyush, indeed your ZZ looks very similar to mine, like twins :) and I hope very soon we will have opportunity to see some pictures of him. He is gorgeous fish.
I have a question for both of you, Piyush and Simon- so here in the forum I read ones of week that it is enough to change 30% of the water, well I have approximately 50gallon tank and in general I change between 50-60% weekly, so is that ok?
Edited by adnan, Mar 12 2016, 03:45 AM.

Piyush
Member Avatar
7" Adults
adnan
Mar 12 2016, 03:44 AM
Thank you for warm welcoming Piyush and Simon :)
So I have ZZ flowerhorn :) Wow, Red Dragon and Red Magma, those are so attractive names. So far my ZZ is very active demonstrating some attitude :) and of course periodically I will keep updating of General (that is his name).
Piyush, indeed your ZZ looks very similar to mine, like twins :) and I hope very soon we will have opportunity to see some pictures of him. He is gorgeous fish.
I have a question for both of you, Piyush and Simon- so here in the forum I read ones of week that it is enough to change 30% of the water, well I have approximately 50gallon tank and in general I change between 50-60% weekly, so is that ok?
Adnan, To me 50-60% water changes a week is too much in my opinion. I would suggest 15-20% of the water changes will balance the nitrite/nitrate and will break down the ammonia. I follow the 15-20% of water changes a week and it balances the cycle what a live thing needs inside the tank.

thank you For your comments. Yes, those both FH look siblings. Well, and the names "Red Dragon" Or "Red Magma" are the names given by fish seller and not certified in the "FH" book by our masters, but the main strain is the ZZ for the FH you have! some other popular traits are Kamfa, Malau, Kamalau etc.

But as Simon stated, now a days we will hardly find any classic strains of these types, we have all mixed breed in the market.

I found the following "funky" link as a reference,

https://m.facebook.com/notes/flowerhorn-insight/difference-between-flowerhorn-strains-in-detail/587047788026508/
- PIYOO

adnan
Zygotes
Really appreciate! Thank you very much Piyush, that's great information to know!
I have some experience with Oscar fish and gold fish, but each group of fish has its own specific things. For example Oscar fish hobbiest recommend 50-70% weekly water change, goldfish lovers- 80-90%. So I think 20-30% weekly water change for my Flowerhorn will be okay to provide him normal water quality. Of course I will regularly check water parameters.
Thank you again :)
The link about to identity the type of Flowerhorn is just great! Thank you!
Edited by adnan, Mar 13 2016, 12:00 AM.

adnan
Zygotes
After a month and a half a small update of General :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

zzflowerhorn
Member Avatar
8" Adults
Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image

adnan
Zygotes
Small update- short clip of my Red Dragon

https://youtu.be/6Vya5TIKoHY

Paintsn
Member Avatar
>>>NeWbIe 4LiFe<<<
adnan
May 5 2016, 10:12 AM
Small update- short clip of my Red Dragon

https://youtu.be/6Vya5TIKoHY

hmmm?? doesnt appear to be a rd to me.. looks more of a golden based zz due to the golden yellow tone.

lovely piece.. love the pearls on the head.. this one should beef up in size with age.. and colors should turn more yellow when matured
http://flowerhornrus.com/
SAD??? sad is seeing that wrinkled face in the mirror of a NOBODY and knowing that life is given by Borrowed Time,
And to the Truth is, Being alive and not knowing how to LIVE...
Now that is sad!!!

ONE DAY CLOSER TO DEATH!!!

So Therefore... My Dream is My Reality and My Reality is My Dream, And If I am in MY Reality, Then I could do So as I pleases AS in My DREAM!!!

Paintings In MY MIND by PAINTSN

Click Banner

Posted Image

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

adnan
Zygotes
Thank you Paintsn! It's good to know that, appreciate!
I like his behavior a lot, he probably will be Grade C, but it doesn't matter for me, he is such a tough character boy lol I can see some small growth in his mouth- looks like teeth :)

FlowerHornRus
Member Avatar
Administrator
any update on this beautiful piece adnan?

Posted Image

It takes 36 muscles to make a FROWN... crying
But it ONLY takes ONE FISH to make a Smile!!!
grinning

adnan
Zygotes
FlowerHornRus
May 18 2016, 07:45 PM
any update on this beautiful piece adnan?
Oh I'm glad to know that you are interested of my ZZ, thank you, really appreciate :)
Recently I'm busy but soon (in 3-4 days) I'll post some relatively good pictures :)
thank you

Simon
Member Avatar
6" Juvies
Nice update, the fins look great on it. His head should start popping soon. Keep pumping him up and keep us updated!

Simon

adnan
Zygotes
As I promised- posting some puctures of General :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Edited by adnan, May 25 2016, 12:50 PM.

Simon
Member Avatar
6" Juvies
Nice fish, keep pumping him up and his pearls may fully cross his head.

Simon

adnan
Zygotes
Thank you Simon! Definitely he is changing in time, it seems that his red coloration appears.

adnan
Zygotes
Hi Flowerhorn lovers!
Soon I'm going to my holiday for a week and I'll be away from my home. Just wandering, is it ok to leave my flowerhorn without food during that period (7 days). He is approximately 6+ inches and about 7-8 months old?

DIRTY REDD
Member Avatar
Team RUs East Coast
Feed him good once then clean the tank before you go, and he should be good. Awesome fish by the way and great updates in your posts.
Edited by DIRTY REDD, Jul 8 2016, 05:25 AM.

Miss Sunshine
Member Avatar
Addicted to flowerhorns
He is growing beautifully! in luv

adnan
Zygotes
Thank you very much REDD and Miss Sunshine, appreciate!
I'm going to update regularly my flowerhorn fish :)

HardBodyBullies1
Member Avatar
Zygotes
Very nice!

Paintsn
Member Avatar
>>>NeWbIe 4LiFe<<<
how is this Golden boy doing adnan?? hmmm??
http://flowerhornrus.com/
SAD??? sad is seeing that wrinkled face in the mirror of a NOBODY and knowing that life is given by Borrowed Time,
And to the Truth is, Being alive and not knowing how to LIVE...
Now that is sad!!!

ONE DAY CLOSER TO DEATH!!!

So Therefore... My Dream is My Reality and My Reality is My Dream, And If I am in MY Reality, Then I could do So as I pleases AS in My DREAM!!!

Paintings In MY MIND by PAINTSN

Click Banner

Posted Image

adnan
Zygotes
Hi Flowerhorn lovers!
My ZZ- General is keeping great. But recently I'm really busy, a lot of traveling. Soon I'll do update 😊

adnan
Zygotes
Quick update, as I promised :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Newbie Corners · Next Topic »
Add Reply

FHRUS Donation Box

Google

GS/GO SOLD HERE! Click RUS LOGO

photo sumobanner2rf2_zpsspafktw1.gif

Vote For FHRUS!!
Aquariumrank.com - Ranking the Top Aquarium Sites on the Internet